Thursday 13 June 2013

Day 6 on the Whole30 and the living is easy.  Feeling pretty good and Paleo Grandad says he had an energy boost today - enough to get on his bike and go for a ride.  All good.

My sleep is improving each day and if, like so many women (and men) in our age group, sleep is an issue for you, I recommend that you give Paleo a try - what do you have to lose?  Oh yeah, you could lose weight, skin rashes, insomnia, some arthritis pain and the list goes on - and it is 30 days out of your life.

The Whole30 motivational/check-in email offers support in dealing with social situations as the weekend is coming up.  For example, how do you go to a party and stay on track - you can do it, but you need to prepare yourself.  Luckily, if you have been invited to a barbecue, it usually means meat of some sort, so unless it is slathered in sugary barbecue sauce, you should be good.  You can always demand politely ask your host to omit the barbecue sauce from your portion.  There are usually salads at barbecues too - just watch out for the salad dressings - maybe take your own olive oil and vinegar dressing.  You could also take a Paleo side dish so you know you will have something to go with the meat.  Make some coleslaw with Napa cabbage and an Asian oil and vinegar dressing (add some sesame oil and some ginger) and then hope some is still left for you - I have a recipe under the salad section of my Recipe Box.

Alcohol is off the table (no pun intended) for the Whole30, so club soda with lime (Whole30 suggests adding a couple of olives too) should be your friend for the party.  If you can't have fun at a party without alcohol you may be at the wrong party.  The video at the end of the motivational/check-in email today is about people who have way too much time (and office supplies) on their hands - but I have to say they are creative!

Today's food menu seems like a lot of food, but it is important you eat enough to not be hungry - as long as it is good food.

Breakfast went to work with me again.
Roast beef, hard-boiled egg and tomatoes
Leftover bacon meatballs, baked sweet potatoes and turnips and leftover oil and vinegar coleslaw were on the menu for lunch.  I make enough dinner for leftovers for lunch the next day on most nights.  It makes it easier to get going in the morning and saves time - it takes planning ahead though.



I had taken a snack to work, but I wasn't hungry so it didn't get eaten at work.  I may still have it later.
Strawberries and beef jerky.
I love truffle oil (try them on baked sweet potato fries and you will too - though you need to remember that a little goes a long way), so when I saw the recipe in The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking for Crispy Truffle Chicken with Herbs, I immediately put it on tonight's menu.  The recipe calls for a 6-pound chicken which I have in the freezer but didn't have time to thaw, so I just used chicken legs from my defrost bowl and cut the rest of the ingredients down accordingly and it was still Wow!

I also took the recipe for the vegetables from The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking - Roasted Cauliflower with Caper Relish - except I wanted something green and I love Brussels sprouts, so I just added them and they were also delicious with the caper relish.


Good food all day long.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF