Wednesday 12 June 2013

Day 5 on the Whole30 and it is going fast and not relatively painlessly.  I definitely got new motivation by getting The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking - a great book.  If you think you would like to do a 30-day Paleo challenge, this would be a good book to have for an almost beginner.  Hayley and Bill do provide some basics about Paleo eating but, in my opinion, It Starts with Food is a must to get the full picture.  Then, when you are ready to go, The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking is definitely a good template to follow.  They lay out menus for four weeks, using leftovers from some meals to create others - a great time-saver.  They also give you the complete shopping list for each week's menu.  I am definitely going to be using a lot of their recipes over the next 3+ weeks, so stay tuned.

The Whole30 motivation/check-in email was about cravings and how to tell if your hunger is real hunger or just a craving.  My favourite tip was to imagine eating steamed fish and broccoli - if that sounds good you are hungry - go eat something.  If it doesn't, go do something else to distract yourself.


My day off today, so I have time to cook my hodge podge with eggs, but this one may have been more of a "garbage" fry (though that is not a very appetizing term - is it?).  We are just about out of vegetables from last week, so I found all the leftover meats and vegetables in the fridge - pork chops with apples and mushrooms, Brussels sprouts and sweet potato, chopped it all up and fried it all in a tablespoon of ghee,


and then served it up with two eggs.


Then we were off to get more vegetables and free-range organic eggs.

Lunch was leftover salmon salad from Sunday, a boiled egg, tomatoes, avocado, jicama and cherries that I picked up today - all the colours of the rainbow and delicious and quick as well.
Great colours!
I still had a large quantity of Kahlua pork left from Sunday (despite reminding Paleo Grandad to use it in his morning fry up), so for tonight's dinner I heated the Kahlua Pork in a skillet.


I peeled and sliced three really ripe plantains, brushed them with ghee and baked them at 400 degrees until browned (you have to watch them, they can burn in a flash).



To go along with that I made some Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips.  I de-stemmed and tore a small bunch of kale (about eight leaves) into large pieces, massaged them with some olive oil, and added 2 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar and a tsp of salt = salt and vinegar chips.  Bake them for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring half way through cooking.  A good match with the sweetness of the pork and plantains.



Put it all together and dinner was ready.
This is a great combination.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF