Sunday 9 June 2013

Day 2 of the Whole30(R)
Day 2 of sticking to the plan and received my first Whole30(R) check-in and motivational email (I won't spoil it for you in case you are doing this yourself - but the video is great!)  They ask you to click on either:
  • I did it! Another Whole 30 day in the bank.
  • I made some bad choices today...let's start my Whole30 over.
They're tough, but I was able to click the first one and didn't find it hard - but it is only day two.

In It Starts With Food they do warn you "...the only way this program will work is if you give it the full 30 days...no cheats, slips, or special occasion foods or drinks."  The science behind this tough love is explained simply in the book - and is backed up with a research list.  I am telling you this is not a fad diet - it is a great lifestyle which I wish I had discovered 40 years ago, I would have saved myself a lot of health issues and personal problems.

On to today's food...as it is Sunday and I have more time, I try more complicated recipes (which in Paleo means 6 ingredients instead of 5).

Breakfast was sausages, two scrambled eggs (cooked in ghee), jicama, tomatoes, strawberries and blueberries.

Sunday breakfast - as good as it looks.
Lunch was no cook, but delicious.
Salmon salad, more jicama (love it!), and watermelon.
I started dinner at 6:30 a.m. in the slow cooker.  I had been wanting to try NomNom Paleo's Kahlua Pork, so in the last meat order I asked for a 4 lb. pork butt.  NomNom cooks her Kahlua Pork for sixteen hours on low, but calculating back I would have had to get up at 2:00 a.m. to put it on to have it ready to eat at 6:00 p.m. (she must have a slow cooker with a start and end timer).  Even started at 6:30 a.m., 16 hours on low would put dinner at 10:30 p.m. - way too fashionable.  So I started the pork at high for 4 hours and then low for 8 hours and it was good.

Start by laying four strips of bacon in the bottom of the slow cooker

Use 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound of pork and rub it all over the meat (NomNom used Red Hawaiian salt - so use it if you have it).  Place the pork butt on top of the bacon and put the lid on (no water).
Cook for 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low.
About half an hour before the pork was done, I started some Jamaican rice and kale and carrots to go with it.
Dinner is served.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF